Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Producer Disco D commits suicide

Reports have flooded in about producer Disco D, who reportedly committed suicide Monday night (January 22).

According to Sohh.com, Benny Blanco, who is close to the producer, confirmed the death, but declined to comment.

"We have no comment. We send our deepest condolences," Benny told SOHH.com. "He was loved and will be truly missed."

Details regarding his death are still sketchy, but sources close to Disco D told BallerStatus.com that he had recently divorced from his Brazilian wife and was having a hard time coping with the split.

The producer had over 10 years of experience in the music industry beginning his career in the dance scene in Detroit, Michigan.

In 2005, he produced the track "Ski Mask Way" for 50 Cent's Massacre album, which put him on the hip-hop map. He went on to produce several records for Kevin Federline's debut album, Playing With Fire, and most recently, the b-side on Trick Daddy's latest single, for a track called "I Pop."

Fans can post their condolences on Disco D's official MySpace page at MySpace.com/GringoLouco

Source: ballerstatus.net

Disco D's friends respond

Some interviews from January, 2006:

AllHipHop.com: How did you come into the understanding of the phrase “PopoZâo”?

Kevin Federline: Actually it was the producer I was working with at the time. He is engaged to a girl that lives over there in Sao Paolo; so he spends a lot of time out there. When he comes out, he’s always playing me these like new Brazilian dance tracks, and I kinda like over time just started picking up the language from their mannerisms when him and his wife are talking and stuff. I asked him one day when I heard the beat for “PopoZâo,” “How do you say big butt in Portuguese?” and he was like “PopoZâo.” So I’m like alright well how do you say “get your ass over here and shake it on the floor for me?” So we did this little thang in Portuguese and we ran with it.

AllHipHop.com: Did you reach out to Disco D or did he reach out to you?

Kevin Federline: I reached out to Disco.

AllHipHop.com: Well Disco D said you’re a pretty gifted freestyler; who were your influences growing up?

Kevin Federline: Man, I listened to a lot of Bay Area stuff like E-40 and Dru Down, even like Cypress Hill was big to me back then. Even before that, Kool Moe Dee and NWA; just so much Hip-Hop on my agenda when I was like 13 or 14 years old. It was crazy.

Source: allhiphop.com

"The biggest misconception about Kevin is that he's lazy," says Disco D, one of the producers of Federline's album. "Kevin really busts his ass and is a hard worker. I made him put in 12-hour days in the studio, and he really delivered. The other big misconception is that he's a bad father and husband. This couldn't be farther from the truth."

Source: mtv.com

R.I.P. Disco D, you were one of the first to give Kevin a chance. God bless you and your family and friends.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( Sad news. Best wishes to his family.

Anonymous said...

All around me are familiar faces,
Worn out places,
Worn out faces,
Bright and early for the daily races,
Going nowhere,
Going nowhere,
Their tears are filling up their glasses,
No expression,
No expression,
Hide my head I wanna drown my sorrow,
No tomorrow,
No tomorrow,
And I find it kind of funny,
I find it kind of sad,
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had,
I find it hard to tell you,
I find it hard to take,
When people run in circles,
It's a very very,
Mad world,

Mad world,
Children waiting for the day they feel good,
Happy birthday,
Happy birthday,
And I feel the way that every child should,
Sit and listen,
Sit and listen,
Went to school and I was very nervous,
No one knew me,
No one knew me,
Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson,
Look right through me,
Look right through me,
And I find it kind of funny,
I find it kind of sad,
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had,
I find it hard to tell you,
I find it hard to take,
When people run in circles,
It's a very very,
Mad world,
Mad world,
Enlarging your world,
Mad world

Anonymous said...

Now there's a reality check. R.I.P. David Shayman.

Anonymous said...

I read through his friend comments at allhipcom.com and he sounds like he was a really good guy. It must be very difficult for his friends.

Anonymous said...

Life is hard sometimes, it is so sad that he was unable to cope. R.I.P.

Anonymous said...

Lots of love to Disco D's friends and family.

Anonymous said...

Bless you David Shayman, R.I.P. :(

Anonymous said...

:(

Anonymous said...

How sad!

Anonymous said...

How sad!

Anonymous said...

don't be fooled. Kfed and 50 owed him for those beats. maybe if they had paid up like they were supposed to he'd still be here. give yourself a hand jackass.

Anonymous said...

^^^STOP BEING A ASSHOLE, THERE'S MORE TO LIFE THAN MONEY AND FAME, MOTHERFUCKER.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

R.I.P, David Shayman, my prayer goes out to your family.

Sometimes life takes should a turn, it hard to understand, I know what your family and friends are going through, not long ago I was dealing with just the same thing, there're lots of unanswered questions, lots of "If(s)" "maybe(s)" and "why(s)" alot change and alot stay the same.

I wish for your family and friends lots of strength and support, my love.

Kelly.

Anonymous said...

I've been friends with disco for over 15 year's from middle school to spinning many underground and house parties all around the metro detroit area....
it is true Dave was owed money throughout the music industry for his music. And yes he didn't get a thing for ski mask way....and yes Kevin Federline only came up with half of the money that was owed to disco..
I attended his funeral this morning
this shit is real.. not 1 person is to blame for this tragedy but I do hope mr. Federline realizes what a major roll he plays in this story....
PAY DISCO D'S FAMILY WHAT YOU OWE HIM

Anonymous said...

^ I'm sorry you lost your friend, from everything I've read he sounds like a good guy. However, the person who made the decision is Disco D himself, no one played a major role except him. He was in a lot of pain and this is what he wanted. It's tragic, it's very hurtful to the people that care about him, but looking for a scapegoat is not the answer.

Anonymous said...

I'm not looking for any scapegoat I just want to see disco's family get the money that was owed to him...

like I said not 1 person is to blame
(which shoots down your scapegoat comment)Disco is responsible for over 17 million in record sales...and guess what Disco had to move in with his mother because of finances...

Industry pressure,being bi-polar,and not being payed in full for his work proved to get the best of disco...

I'm not saying that if Kevin or 50 payed up this outcome would be different..because it probably wouldn't..but come on these people are mad fukin rich. dave put his heart soul and life into blowing these artists up....don't you think proper restitution should be payed up?? I do...

Anonymous said...

^ You said Kevin played a major role and I don't think that's fair. I don't know what Kevin's situation was, or Kevin and Disco Ds. Maybe the intent was to pay the rest with album sales. That didn't work out, then Kevin's wife left him a week later and his life became one big turmoil. Just speculation. Things seem to be looking up for Kevin now and I agree that he should pay the rest if it is still owed.

I'm just saying Kevin is not the villain here, there is no villain, just a tragic situation. Too many people make Kevin the villain for unfair reasons as it is. I'm sure Kevin is grieving too.