Friday, November 03, 2006

Review of "Playing With Fire" from October 31

Happy Kevin Federline Album Release Day!
The Evil Beet, 2 days, 21 hours, 19 minutes ago

I hear it's some other manner of holiday today, too, but, seriously, who cares if it's freakin' Christmas? The Kevin Federline album drops today!

I'll be honest: it's not a terrible rap album. It's not, guys. Sorry to disappoint. It's pretty unremarkable aside from the fact that it's Kevin Federline's, but it's not that bad. The album is largely centered on his bizarre rise to fame, and there are some great lines. On "America's Most Hated," he wonders, "Who told this bastard that he can't rap / I've got fifty mil / I can do whatever I want." And you know what? He's right. (I'll note that I've seen the last part of this line taken out of context in a variety of reviews, paired with a line that comes earlier, "All these model chicks wanna do me," implying that he's unfaithful to Britney. That's not what he said, guys, and if you're looking that hard for a reason to criticize, Federline won.)

Throughout the album, KFed is consistently straightforward about who he is and why he's famous, and I give him credit for that. It's typically peppered with the obligatory references to driving fancy cars and drinking expensive liquor and smoking killer weed, but there are also plenty of references to Britney (who he always refers to only as "my wife"), and they're all really sweet. He mentions more than once how much he's in love with her, and I started to understand -- just for a minute -- how Brit fell for him.

Look, it's not a stellar album, and if he weren't married to Britney Spears, you'd never hear anything about it (primarily because it never would have been made). But the thing is, he knows that, and he's honest about it on his album. He gets points from me for that. Play a couple of Eminem tracks after you listen to it (I did), and the difference is palpable, but I don't think it deserves the heat it's taken. I mean, have you ever actually listened to the lyrics in anything Gwen Stefani wrote? Playing with Fire is Pulitzer Prize material in comparison. Also, there's a hidden track. When was the last time an album had a hidden track? Dookie?

The hype surrounding the album hasn't seemed to help ticket sales for Federline's shows, as Page Six reports that his Cleveland show was canceled due to lack of interest, and his NYC show is likely to meet the same fate. (Alison's note: Kevin canceled Cleveland for unknown reasons, and NYC has not be canceled). But today -- and just today -- you're okay in my book, Kevin.

Source: film.com

7 comments:

kristen said...

awww,thats 3 good reviews i've read so far. i bought it and i actually was suprised how much i like it.my favorites are Crazy,League of My Own,Privilege and Lose Control. i've heard it sold over 72,000 copies the first day which is actually more than a lot of artist out now,lol.

Anonymous said...

does any of you know about who kevin talks in caught up?

Riley said...

On those AOL videos that were posted a while back he said Caught Up was about one of his friends and his girlfriend. He said something about watching their relationship for the past five years and wrote that song about them.

Anonymous said...

In the AOL video clips, he said it was about one of his friends. He called it the "relationship song" cuz he wrote it about all the struggles and drama that have happened with the guy and his girlfriend. He wasn't specific about which friend, but I'd assume either Jimmy or Eddie, cuz those are the two he seems closest to.

I love "Caught Up". I think it could have the most amazing video. I hope they make it a single!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's getting a couple of good reviews. I've been in such a BAD mood for the last 2 days hearing all these people (so many of them Britney "fans") mock and jeer at him, and take such pleasure in posting the reviews that have scalded him! I cannot understand that type of thinking. You don't have to like the guy, or his music, but it's SICK to laugh at someone else's misfortune.

I'm just glad Kevin is a strong guy and can take the hating. His album is surprisingly good. More people should give it a chance.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thats pretty good if he sold that many copies already! I was one of the people who did and I love it! He's got guts to do what he is doing and I applaude him for that! Keep it up Kevin!!