Monday, September 11, 2006

D.A.N.C.E. Empowerment in Fresno, where Kevin worked before moving to L.A.

D.A.N.C.E. Empowerment (Developing positive Attitudes for a New Coping Experience) is a non-profit organization that utilizes dance, live performances, and mentoring programs to promote: staying in school, staying drug free, staying away from gangs and violence.

http://www.dehiphop101.org/
http://www.myspace.com/danceempowerment

Founder and Artistic Director, Wayne Hurley, has been a professional performer for the past 15 years. He debuted on the national scene in 1994 with his performance on Star Search.


From fresnostate.net, here are some pictures from a performance at Crafts Faire Stage Entertainment on April 17, 2004.
Click pictures for full size.




Does the symbol on their caps look familiar?




Kevin talks about D.A.N.C.E. Empowerment:


So when I was a teenager, I started dancing for this nonprofit organization called Dance Empowerment. It helped get kids off the street. I did that for a couple years and started getting good. So I came out to L.A., and two weeks later I went on tour with a group called LFO, which was opening for Britney. I was on the road with her for, like, two months. I’ll tell you one thing, dude—I never thought that any of this shit would happen.

Source: Details Magazine (March, 2005)

Was dancing a way for you to stay out of the stuff that was going down in the streets?
Yeah. I met these guys when I was 13 -- I saw them in a dance studio, and they were doing hip-hop shit. I went in there and learned poppin' and shit like that. When I was 15, I started working for this nonprofit organization, which took kids off the streets and taught them better things to do. It was called Dance Empowerment. I started there and I met my boy Jimmy -- who I wound up moving to L.A. with when I was 20. I found out that I could come out here and make money as a dancer. I went on tour with LFO ['90s Florida boy band Lyte Funky Ones]. I was happy as shit.

Source: spin.com (April 19, 2006)

Back in Fresno, we had this non-profit organization that brought kids in off the streets and we'd teach them how to dance, and I did all that about 7, 8 years ago before I moved to L.A. So I really got into that, working with the kids and stuff and found out I could come out here and dance for artists, and wound up doing that.

Source: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (September 6, 2006)

No comments: